Sunday, May 16, 2010

Writing Prompt: "I Was Glad"


Prompt from The Writer's Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction by the staff of Fresh Boiled Peanuts, a literary journal.
"I was glad."


******


"I was glad, what kind of epitaph is that?"


"Short, simple and to the point. I like it."


"Glad of what? Glad about what?"


"Does it matter? Sounds like he had a good lie. Maybe he died smiling."


"Maybe, but considering what he went through, he was probably glad it was the end."


"It's 'I was glad'. Not 'I am glad'. There's a difference."


"Semantics."


"Counts for a lot. I don't think he had an evil one in his body. He treated everyone kindly."


"Do unto others before they do it to you."


"You have to admit that that his enemies had nothing to complain about."


"Yeah, because he let them run roughshod over him. Of course they wouldn't complain about their meal ticket, right? I wouldn't have."


"They left him alone. That's all he really wanted."


"He could have done so much more in his life. Instead, he lived alone and puttered around. And he was glad about that?"


"Some people want an uncomplicated life, and just want to be left in peace."


"He was the wrong person to inherit a lot of money."


"Yeah, he was, but he was glad of that fact."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!