Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Live a Rich Fantasy Life

Writing distracts me from all sorts of storms in my daily life. I can construct all sorts of worlds where my characters actively explore the universe, whether it be through space ships or through relationships. No one is completely good or evil, but they interact each other and enrich their lives.

Yes, I know you can do that in real life too. I have three kids and a husband, plus friends, acquaintances and family I interact with on a daily basis. It's a challenge to deal with two autistic kids, their doctors, therapists and teachers. You just concentrate on getting through the day. Lately, the hubs and I have been doing our own thing, growing somewhat apart.

Writing is an escape, where I can feel like I have some control over the lives of my characters. They can still "boldly go where no one has gone before" without having to worry about a dwindling bank account, or a call from school because your kid lashed out and bit someone because she was frustrated.

Yes, I live a rich fantasy life. I do know that it's just that, fantasy, and that I've still got to deal with real life issues. As much as I wish I could stay in my own literary and artistic creations, I need to remind myself that others need me in real life too. But the fantasy is still there whenever I need to escape.

All original writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!