Sunday, April 10, 2011

Running to Catch Up...

I'm still trying to catch up on blog posts, art, etc. Does you ever feel that you're always falling farther and farther behind when something unexpected happens? "The forwarder I go, the more behinder I get"?

Last month, my son spent 4 days in the children's hospital for dehydration. Of course, during that time, my priority was my son...bar none. As a mum, I put my kids' welfare above almost anything else (even my own). Worrying over Internet posts fell by the wayside. It really didn't matter at that point. I sat by my son's beside, watched cartoons and sports with him, and spent the night on a (rather uncomfortable) padded bench.

But at that point, nothing else mattered. Even after he was released to go home, I was still hypervigilant.

A couple of weeks ago, a bad storm tore through Charlotte. Trees fell on driveways and power lines, hail damaged roofs, and people lost power. Almost everyone I knew lost electricity, Internet, phone or all three. Luckily, I still had power and phone, but the storm burnt out the modem on the home network. So again, I had no Internet.

Yeah, inconvenient, but it could have been much worse. I did manage to let people know what was going on (taking my laptop to the local Barnes and Noble to get access). During the three days, I spent more time with Baby Girl and did more sketches. Looking back, a brief time away from my computer benefited me in the long run.

Of course, trying to get back to 'I need to go back to work' mode is easier said than done. So, I'm running to catch up. The life of a mum writer.

All original writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!