Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What am I Reading this Month? (January 2011)

It's a mixed bag of books this month. I used my birthday and Christmas gift money to stock up on books and art supplies. Here's what's on the list this month:

The Complete I Ching, 10th Anniversary Edition, The Definitive Translation by Taoist Master Alfred Huang. I've always been interested in Chinese philosophy. In fact, this is the second version of the I Ching I own (the first being The I Ching for Writers by Sarah Jane Sloane). Master Huang's version is more complex and goes into great detail concerning the position of the lines, their meanings, and the various Commentaries. This is not a book you can read in one night.

China Style: Exteriors, Interiors Details (Icons) Edited by TASCHEN, Photographer Reto Gunli. This slim book covers many subjects: Chinese architecture, furniture, pottery, and history. Many of these snapshots are candid glimpses of how the Chinese live, both present-day and in the past.

Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons by Ernest Drake and Dugald Steer. I've always been a sucker for beautifully rendered pop-up art books (like Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine Trilogy). I love the pictures, diagrams and envelopes with removable letters. It's of the same series as The Egyptology Handbook: A Course in the Wonders of Egypt by Emily Sands and Dugald Steer, which I also own.

Drawing Dragons: Learn How to Create Fire-Breathing Dragons by Sandra Staple. How to draw dragon eyes, heads, claws, wings, and put them together in dynamic poses.

Zen Seeing, Zen Drawing: Meditation in Action by Frederick Franck. Not a how-to book on drawing or "zen" in art, but a book about actually SEEING the world as it actually is, SEEING the essence of your subject.

Anatomy for Fantasy Artists by Glenn Fabry. Human anatomy (muscles, skeleton, and how they literally move the body through poses) and how to convey that in fantasy art.

 

(All links are to their respective entries on Amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!