Christopher Lowell is an interior designer with a quirky, yet practical flair. I remember the first time I saw his show on the Bravo channel and thought, "What a weird guy." There is a method to his madness...creative boldness yet classy at the same time. Quirky but not kitschy. It takes a skilled eye to break away from the ordinary without being so obnoxious that it can't appeal to people.
These seven steps are from his book, "7 Steps to Creativity":
1) Don't second-guess. Make a decision.
2) Don't procrastinate. What you hate, decorate.
3) Don't back down. Stick to your guns. Have faith.
4) Create a safe environment to make choices. Dare to dream. Let go of stress.
5) You're the boss. Give it a toss. Cut out clutter.
6) Put away your ego and pretensions in your back pocket. Be willing to be open.
7) Lighten up! Keep an aerial view! Be flexible!
All original writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2010