Friday, March 18, 2011

Change is Good, Once in a While

Sometimes, change is good, especially when you feel stuck.

For the past several months, I've been concentrating mostly on ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) and postcards. They're small enough to begin and finish in a sitting or two. When you have three high-maintenance kids, time is a luxury that you don't have most of the time. I've also been ironing out plot problems in two different short stories.

And I was getting frustrated. Nothing seemed to work. *delete, delete, delete*

So I figured it was time to change my focus. I brought out an 11x17 canvas panel, and two 12x16s, got out my acrylics and paintbrushes, and painted at the kitchen table. Granted, Hubby wasn't exactly thrilled, but I was still in the room when he was watching his TV program. I listened to Anthony Bourdain in the background while painting abstracts, which I haven't done it a while. And it felt right. I'd been concentrating on the same thing for such a long time that I was literally burned out one style.

I scribbled a few haikus, a distinct difference from the prose I'd been writing. I felt a shift of consciousness, a sense of relief. Not the same old, same old. 


I'll go back to my smaller projects and my short stories...later.

All original writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!