Friday, August 13, 2010

Quotes about Books

"Where is Human Nature so weak as in the bookstore?" - Henry Ward Beecher, Star Papers


"Any man with a moderate income can afford to buy more books than he can read in a lifetime."- Henry Holt


"There are 10,000 books in my library, and it will keep growing until I die. This has exasperated my daughters, amused my friends, and baffled my accountant. If I had not picked up this habit in the library long ago, I would have more money in the bank today; I would not be richer." -Pete Hamill, "D'Artagnan on 9th Street: A Brooklyn Boy at the Library."


"Early to bed and Early to rise, Work like hell and advertise." -A distorted proverb from an agent.


"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson


"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges


"Where books are burned, in the end, people will be burned too." -Heinrich Heine


"An effective minor character is a well-made bundle of ideas, and an effective major character is a well-made bundle of ideas to whom we are asked to pay more attention." --Eric Maisel, "Deep Writing".


Ben Franklin's Epitaph
(1729- he wrote it, but it's not on his gravestone)

The Body
of
Benjamin Franklin, Printer
(Like the cover of an old book,
its contents torn out,
and stript of its letter and gilding,)
Lies food for worms:
Yet the work itself shall not be lost,
for it will (as he beleived) appear once more
In a new
and more beautiful edition,
Corrected and amended
by
The Author

All writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!