Writing Exercise: "Word Choices"
Directions: Start with a simple sentence, then transform it by adding and subtracting details. Kind of like the kids' game "Telephone".
1) I drank a cup of coffee.
2) He drank a can of soda.
3) He drank a large can of purple soda.
4) He threw the dirty can and the orange soda.
5) He angrily threw the dirty can and the orange soda.
6) He angrily threw the smelly, dirty can and the flat orange soda.
7) He angrily threw the smelly, oversized socks and the flat green pie pan.
8) He playfully threw the smelly, oversized socks and the large green sweater.
Use your last sentence as the first sentence of a paragraph.
He playfully threw the smelly, oversized socks and the large, green sweater, She dodged the dirty barrage by diving over the side of the bed. It missed her head by mere inches. Then she grabbed the grimy pair of blue sweatpants and hurled it in his general direction. The laundry fight had begun, and no one wanted to stop it, as childish as it seemed.
All writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2010