Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why Do I Keep Doing This, Anyway?

There are times when I feel so disheartened with my art and my writing. Those days when I ask myself, "Why am I doing this? Why can't I just get a 'regular' job with a 'regular' paycheck? Why do I put so much effort in trying to promote myself, when I'm just being ignored? Why do I spend so much time with the inks and paints or in front of the keyboard when the house needs cleaning, errands need doing, and kids are getting cranky?"

Because I have to. My inner muse whispers into my ear and I listen. The Muse hits me over the head with new ideas to try and whispers, "What if...?" For the longest time, I ignored her and she took her long vacation to Barbados, so by the time I figured it out, she was long gone. It took a while for me to convince her to leave her cabana. I think she was afraid I'd jet over and take her place.

Yeah, right. That would be nice, once in a while. Since I can't do that in real life, I do it on the page and the canvas.

I do it for me and share it with others. That's why I do it.

All original writing and art copyright A. Dameron 2000-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a comment? Question? Please type it below! Thanks!